Jojakko-ji Temple was founded in 1596 by the 16th chief priest of Honkoku-ji Temple, Nisshin, who used the temple as his private secluded space. The word ”Jojakkodo” is a Buddhist term that means an ideal world free from worldly desires and full of wisdom. As the name suggests, the panoramic view of Sagano seen from the temple is a utopia-like spectacle. Tradition has it that Fujiwara no Sadaie compiled the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (one hundred waka poems) in a villa on Mt. Ogura during the Heian period, and that Jojakko-ji Temple lies where the villa used to be. The main hall was originally the guest hall of Momoyama-jo Castle relocated with the support of Hideaki Kobayakawa. Without anything that separates the grounds from the mountain, the temple blends with the surrounding nature of Mt. Ogura.
Two-story pagoda that provides a commanding view of Kyoto
The two-story pagoda near the main hall has been designated as an Important Cultural Property. It offers a sweeping view of Sagano as well as Kyoto, and on a fine day you can see Mt. Hiei. In autumn, the 12-meter two-story pagoda creates a stunning contract with the vivid hues of the leaves.
Unkei's Nio statues await at Nio-mon gate
Nio-mon gate was originally the south gate of the Honkoku-ji Temple's guest hall that was relocated in 1616. It is the oldest surviving building in the grounds. A pair of Nio statues stand on both sides of the gate. These statues, allegedly created by Unkei, were relocated from Chogen-ji Temple, a Nichiren-sect temple in Obama, Fukui. The statues are believed to have the benefit of curing diseases of the eyes and lower back and legs, and many waraji (straw sandals) dedicated by followers praying for the cure of their disease are hung on the walls of the gate.
3, Sagaogurayamaoguracho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, 616-8397
- Nearest Station
･ JR Sagano Line
･ JR San-in Line
15 minutes on foot
- Phone Number
075-861-0435Available languagesonly in Japanese
- 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Public Site
- Official Site
Recommended Spots in Area