Here we'll share all about the weather in Hokkaido in spring and the perfect clothing to wear. We'll also share why spring is the best time to visit Hokkaido!
If you’re going to Hokkaido as well as visiting Tokyo and Osaka, you need to be aware that there’s a big difference in temperature!
- Table of Contents
- Visiting Hokkaido in Spring 2020 (March to May): Overview
- What's Hokkaido like in Spring (March - May)? Average Temperature and Precipitation
- What clothes should I pack for Hokkaido in Spring (March - May)?
- Visiting Hokkaido in March
- Visiting Hokkaido in April
- Visiting Hokkaido in May
- Visiting Hokkaido in other seasons
Visiting Hokkaido in Spring 2020 (March to May): Overview
In March, the temperature is still sometimes below freezing. Cherry blossoms bloom in Tokyo in April, but in Hokkaido, they don’t come out till May!
1. It’s still the end of winter in Hokkaido in March. Watch out for freezing temperatures at the start and end of the day!
March in Hokkaido is still the end of winter, so there are still days when the temperature is below freezing. Even in April, when the cherry blossoms are out in Tokyo, it’s only just the start of spring in Hokkaido and quite chilly. On the mainland, it starts to feel like early summer from May onwards, but in Hokkaido, the mornings and evenings are still cold around this time.
2. In Hokkaido the cherry blossoms come out in May!
Although the cherry blossoms start budding on the mainland in March, temperatures can still be below freezing in Hokkaido. Here, the cherry blossoms don’t come out till May. Keep this in mind!
3. You won’t get hay fever in Hokkaido!
Hay fever is often thought of as a national affliction in Japan. However, cedar doesn’t grow in Hokkaido, so there’s no cedar pollen around to cause hay fever. But there is birch pollen, and you do find some people have an allergy to this.
Things to do in Hokkaido in May: Flowers, Fish & Events
◆ Mizubasho (Asian skunk cabbage) (April/May), cherry blossoms (May), shibazakura (moss phlox)(May), tulips (May).
◆ Seasonal fish: Scallops (up till March), tokishirazu (summer-catch salmon) (May onwards).
◆ Spring event: Sapporo Lilac Festival
Date: May 16 (Wed) to May 27 (Sun).
Venue: 5 - 7 chome, Odorinishi, Chuo, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Access: Subway - Namboku Line, Tozai Line, Toho Line. Get off at Odori Station.
What's Hokkaido like in Spring (March - May)? Average Temperature and Precipitation
What clothes should I pack for Hokkaido in Spring (March - May)?
Visiting Hokkaido in March
In March, you’ll still need winter clothing to protect yourself from the cold. The roads get very wet and muddy as the snow melts, so we’d suggest waterproof shoes if you’re walking about outside.
- Average temperature in Sapporo in March
- 0.6 ℃
- Maximum temperature in Sapporo in March
- 4.0 ℃
- Minimum temperature in Sapporo in March
- -2.9 ℃
Visiting Hokkaido in April
It sometimes snows even in April, so you’ll need clothes that you can easily adjust to keep yourself comfortable.
- Average temperature in Sapporo in April
- Maximum temperature in Sapporo in April
- Minimum temperature in Sapporo in April
Visiting Hokkaido in May
In May, it still feels cool in the mornings and evenings, so take some long-sleeved outerwear. It’s also good to have a hat and T-shirt for outdoor activities, as it sometimes gets quite hot during the day.
- Average temperature in Sapporo in May
- Maximum temperature in Sapporo in May
- Minimum temperature in Sapporo in May
Visiting Hokkaido in other seasons
*Prices and options mentioned are subject to change.
*Unless stated otherwise, all prices include tax.
Share this article.
Recommended places for you
The Latest Soul Food Trend in Sapporo: Top 3 Soup Curry Spots in Japan’s North
Visiting Hokkaido's Lake Akan - A Mystical Area Home to Unique Treasures!
North Safari Sapporo: Japan's Thrilling Animal Theme-Park Experience
Lake Akan is the Perfect Escape From the Real World
Getting Around Niseko: All About Available Transportation
Cooking Cake Over a Bonfire... With Bamboo?! This Area in Japan Takes Snow Activities to a New Level
10 Major Cities in Japan: Which One Should You Visit?
Hokkaido's Spa Wonderland: 3 Must-See Hot Spring Inns in Noboribetsu!
Hokkaido Cherry Blossoms: 8 Best Places To See Sakura (2020 Edition)
Secrets to Shopping in Japan: Guide to Annual Sales in Japan & Where to Shop! (2020 Edition)
How to Get from Narita Airport to Tokyo: Easy Guide!
Spectacular Scenic Spots around Niseko and Yoteizan
- #best sushi hokkaido
- #things to do hokkaido
- #best ramen sapporo
- #what to bring to japan
- #new years in tokyo
- #what to buy in ameyoko
- #japanese nail trends
- #what to do in odaiba
- #onsen tattoo friendly tokyo
- #best sweets otaru
- #japanese fashion culture
- #best nature furano
- #japanese convenience store snacks
- #best japanese soft drinks