Winter landscapes are one thing, but what about a village made of snow and ice? Check out the Tomamu Ice Village - the frozen world unique to Hoshino Resort Tomamu in Hokkaido!
Here when the temperature drops to -30 degrees, the fun heats up - letting you experience what feels like a snow-globe dream! You’ll enjoy making lots of memories with those dearest to you in this fantastic spot that only appears in winter. Let’s hop right in.
- Table of Contents
- 1. You can relax by the fireside in the sparkling Ice Books & Café
- 2. The Ice Bar at Tomamu Ice Village lets you sip drinks in a quiet winter forest
- 3. You can literally sleep surrounded by ice (and not get cold!)
- 4. The Ice Slide and Ice Rink are fun for kids and adults alike!
- 5. The adorable souvenirs let you keep hold of your memories
- 6. You'll never want to leave even the gift shop
- 7. You can hold your wedding at the Ice Chapel in a pure white world
- Related Articles
1. You can relax by the fireside in the sparkling Ice Books & Café
Ice Books & Café is where you can enjoy reading while sitting on chairs made of ice surrounded by bookshelves also made of ice. There is also a fireplace that uses special glass—all of which creates a relaxed atmosphere at Tomamu Ice Village.
You can also enjoy making original Ice Bars and toasted marshmallows. In this sparkling white world, the taste of beautiful sweets with snow and ice themes will add to your enjoyment. It’s all so much fun! (*Items offered are subject to change.)
2. The Ice Bar at Tomamu Ice Village lets you sip drinks in a quiet winter forest
With over 50 kinds of cocktails offered, you’ll love snapping Instagram photos as the bartender prepares drinks using delicately colored ice glass. You can add special ice made using water from Daisetsuzan—a source used in brewing famous Japanese sake—allowing you to enjoy the mellow flavors of your drink.
3. You can literally sleep surrounded by ice (and not get cold!)
Here you can even experience a hotel where everything—the ceiling, wall, and bed—is made of ice! Spend your time wrapped in sleeping bags that will keep you warm even in temperatures of 30 degrees below freezing.
The ice hotel is also equipped with the Arctic Bath - an open-air bath of ice. Where else can you enjoy a warm bath while enjoying the icy snow scenery? As warm halls and room wear are prepared, there should be little worry about freezing.
After relaxing in the open-air bath, head over to the Ice Lounge where you can savor sipping whiskey in a relaxing ice chair. Ginger, honey, and milk are also available to enjoy with 50 kinds of hot drinks to warm your body.
4. The Ice Slide and Ice Rink are fun for kids and adults alike!
The Ice Slide is the most popular attraction in the Ice Village. When sliding down from the overlook to the middle of the village, the sense of speed is enough for even adults to enjoy. Next, get your skate on at the Ice Rink! Get your body moving while surrounded by the nature of Tomamu.
5. The adorable souvenirs let you keep hold of your memories
It may be hard to bring back the memories enjoyed at Tomamu Ice Village as ice melts quickly. There are workshops where participants can make special key holders made of snowflakes that won’t melt. Also, participants can enjoy making ice glasses, experience blowing ice soap bubbles, play ice instruments, and more.
6. You'll never want to leave even the gift shop
A fantastic dome in which beautifully colored and flowing flowers are scattered in the glittering transparent ice world. Enjoy a selection of souvenirs designed with the motif of Tomamu Ice Village.
At this shop, you can even find items such as sundries that are prepared with ice and snow. Outerwear and gloves can also be purchased, which are indispensable during your stay at Tomamu Ice Village!
7. You can hold your wedding at the Ice Chapel in a pure white world
There is even a very romantic chapel in the Tomamu Ice Village, where the altar, cross, and aisle are all made with ice. It is said that the wish to stay true to one another sticks to a seamless piece of ice where it stays undisturbed.
Here it is also possible to hold your wedding in a dream-like space that shines with pure white. After the ceremony fireworks are launched, giving your wedding an even more fantastic and beautiful sight.
text: Natsuko Saito
*Prices and options mentioned are subject to change.
*Unless stated otherwise, all prices include tax.
Share this article.
Otaru Travel Guide: Inside Hokkaido's Leading Destination! (Sightseeing, Food, and Shopping Tips)
Discover Hokkaido's Scenic Sounkyo: Colorful Leaves & Snow-Covered Mount Kurodake!
Sapporo to Furano/Biei Japan: Visiting the Gorgeous Floral Wonderlands of Hokkaido!
Secrets to Shopping in Japan: Guide to Annual Sales in Japan & Where to Shop
- #best sushi hokkaido
- #things to do hokkaido
- #best ramen sapporo
- #what to bring to japan
- #new years in tokyo
- #what to buy in ameyoko
- #japanese nail trends
- #what to do in odaiba
- #onsen tattoo friendly tokyo
- #best sweets otaru
- #japanese fashion culture
- #best nature furano
- #japanese convenience store snacks
- #best japanese soft drinks