Sumiyoshi Shrine was established in the 3rd year of the Shouhou era (1646). Sumiyoshi sanjin (3 Shinto gods), Empress Consort Jingu and Tokugawa Ieyasu are enshrined in this historic shrine. At that time, Tsukudajima where the shrine was established was the gateway for the Edo-minato Port. Thus many people including fishermen came to the shrine to pray for safe sea travel. People still respect the shrine and visit to pray to the god. Many important cultural properties of the ward are preserved in the shrine grounds. There many precious artifacts exist such as the shrine signboard written by Prince Arisugawa Takahito with ceramic frame and a Shinto water ablution pavilion whose transom has an engraved landscape of Tsukudajima area at that time. At the annual festival (regular festival) held in summer once every three years, Lions heads and the octagonal Mikoshi portable shrine depart from the shrine, and this area is bustling with many people. The nearest station is Tsukishima Station.
1-1-14, Tsukuda, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0051
- Nearest Station
･ Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line
･ Toei Oedo Line
5 minutes on foot
- Phone Number
Our staff may only be able to communicate in Japanese.
8:00am - 5:00pm
Recommended Spots in Area
FIRST CABIN AtagoyamaShinbashiHotels
IRORI Hostel & KitchenNingyocho / Monzen-Nakacho / KasaiYouth Hostels
GRIDS HOSTEL + LOUNGE NIHOMBASHI EASTNingyocho / Monzen-Nakacho / KasaiYouth Hostels
Imperial Hotel TokyoGinzaHotels
Train Hostel HOKUTOSEINingyocho / Monzen-Nakacho / KasaiYouth Hostels
Ascott Marunouchi TokyoTokyo StationHotels