Yokohama's Minato Mirai area is a popular date spot. Cherry blossoms in spring, Pokemon events in summer, and autumn leaves in autumn are the hot spots. But in winter, Minato Mirai is home to a glittering variety of light festivals taking place from Christmas to New Year's Eve.
Here we will introduce you to five popular Yokohama illumination spots you should not miss in the Minato Mirai Area.
- Table of Contents
- 1. Yokohama Miraito: 1.5km-long Area of Illuminated Wonder (Until Feb 14, 2021)
- 2. SKY CHRISTMAS 2020: Fantastic illumination decoration of Yokohama's Sky Building (Until Dec 25, 2020)
- 3. The Landmark Christmas 2020: 8-Meter Tall Christmas Tree Glittering with Stars (Until Dec 25, 2020)
- 4. YOKOHAMA CROSS NIGHT ILLUMINATION: Where beautiful light fills the city
- 5. Pacifico Yokohama Winter Illuminations 2020: Beautiful light competition with Yokohama Port as a backdrop!
- Book an unforgettable experience in Yokohama!
1. Yokohama Miraito: 1.5km-long Area of Illuminated Wonder (Until Feb 14, 2021)
This Yokohama illumination event takes place from the east exit of Yokohama Station to Sakura-dori, with approximately 500,000 blue, champagne gold, white LED bulbs and 60 LED lights used for stage lighting. In the main area of Art Square, which connects the Yokohama Museum of Art and Queen's Square in Minato Mirai, an experiential illumination system is created, where sound and light can be produced by touching a street piano surrounded by an arc of light.
This year's theme is held in thanks to the medical professionals and others who have helped so much in this time of Covid-19.
When: Until February 14, 2021; from 4-11pm (On December 5 and 12, open until midnight)
Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, Nishi-ku, 220-0012
Yokohama Station （JR Tokaido Main Line / JR Yokosuka Line / JR Shonan Shinjuku Line / JR Keihin-Tohoku Line / JR Negishi Line / JR Ueno Tokyo Line / Line 3 (Yokohama Blue Line) / Tokyu Toyoko Line / Minatomirai Line / Keikyu Main Line / Sagami Railway Main Line）
- Address Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa, Nishi-ku, 220-0012
2. SKY CHRISTMAS 2020: Fantastic illumination decoration of Yokohama's Sky Building (Until Dec 25, 2020)
This year at the Sky Building, a shopping and dining complex connected to Yokohama Station's east exit, you can enjoy Christmas decorations in a magically festive space! The pièce de résistance is a 6-meter tall Christmas tree appearing in the atrium on the 10th floor. So that guests can enjoy a relaxing experience, colorful blue and white light shows, symbolizing "healing and security," will also take place, shining on the glittering ornaments.
In addition, on the 28th-floor outdoor garden patio, illuminations on the dome-shaped pergola will also appear.
When: Until December 25. Open daily, 10am - 11pm. Other illuminations have hours according to the business hours of the floor they are on.
- Address 2-19-12 Takashima, Nishi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa
3 minutes walk from JR / Keihin Kyuko Railway Yokohama Station; 5 minutes walk from Toyoko Line / Minato Mirai Line Yokohama Station
- Phone Number 045-441-2424
Hours: 10:00-23:00 * Depends on each floor
Closed: Irregular holidays
3. The Landmark Christmas 2020: 8-Meter Tall Christmas Tree Glittering with Stars (Until Dec 25, 2020)
The first floor of Yokohama's Landmark Tower, in Landmark Plaza, will be home to a gorgeous 8-meter tall Christmas tree, decked out in the theme of "Starry Forest." Romantic illuminations are set up to create an effect as though stars are twinkling around you. Plus, there will be fun events and a Christmas market where you can experience making bouquets and wreaths.
This year, a fun virtual snow event will be held as well! "AR Merry Snow Christmas 2020" digitally connects the feelings of loved ones who are far away. When you send a message using one of the postcards, you can share the same snowy scene with friends and loved ones.
When: Until December 25, 2020; tree lighting from 4-11pm. *Christmas market until December 15.
4. YOKOHAMA CROSS NIGHT ILLUMINATION: Where beautiful light fills the city
You'll love the romantic YOKOHAMA CROSS NIGHT ILLUMINATION, held near the Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse in Minato Mirai! At Shinko Central Square, a brilliant Yokohama illumination complete with the spacious and gorgeously colored "CROSS DOME" will be installed. You can enjoy the change of light that reacts when a person enters the dome or pathways.
Also, the plaza and 20 facilities in the surrounding area are collaborating to create a special holiday program, complete with a light and music show held for 5 minutes, 6 times a day. Plus a weekend-only program will be held, where you can enjoy projection mapping while exploring the city of Yokohama. You can also enjoy the program "Yornoyo x SAMPO_MAPP" (advance reservation required) and a new experience, "PORTAL," in which participants become part of the light art.
When: Until December 26; 6-9:05pm daily
Shinko Central Square新港中央広場
- Address 1-5 Shinko, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa
7 minutes walk from "Bashamichi" station on the Minatomirai line, 17 minutes walk from JR "Sakuragicho" station
- Phone Number 045-323-9952
5. Pacifico Yokohama Winter Illuminations 2020: Beautiful light competition with Yokohama Port as a backdrop!
The 14th annual Pacifico Yokohama Winter Illuminations 2020 will be held at two locations, Queen Mall Bridge and Pukarisanbashi Pier, the gateway to Pacifico Yokohama.
In conjunction with the special Yornoyo program mentioned above, light from the Statue of Goddess (Michibiki) on the top floor of the Yokohama Grand Intercontinental Hotel will shine brightly.
When: Until February 28, 2021; daily, from sunset until midnight
- Address 1-1 1-1 Minatomirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa
5 minutes on foot from Minatomirai Station on Tokyu Toyoko Line and Fukutoshin Line
12 minutes on foot from JR Sakuragicho Station, 11 minutes by bus, 5 minutes by taxi
10 minutes by taxi from JR Yokohama Station, 10 minutes by Sea Bass (water taxi)
- Phone Number 045-221-2155
* Depending on the situation, the period/time may be changed or canceled, or the contents may be changed. Please check each official website for the latest information before going out.
Book an unforgettable experience in Yokohama!
Make your trip extra memorable by booking one of these recommended experiences on our partner site, Voyagin!
*Prices and options mentioned are subject to change.
*Unless stated otherwise, all prices include tax.
Share this article.
Recommended places for you
Enjoy a Day Trip to Sukayu Onsen Hot Springs in the Winter Wonderland of Aomori!
Japan Cherry Blossom 2021 Forecast: When & Where To See Sakura in Japan
Day Trip to Yaizu, Shizuoka: Gorgeous Views of Mt. Fuji & Exquisite Seafood At This Picturesque Town South of Tokyo!
Tokyo Weather: 7-day Forecast for Tokyo and Japan (+What to Wear!)
Top 10 Culture Shock Moments in Japan: People from China, Korea, Taiwan, and India Tell All!
Manga Time! What Kind of Clothes Should You Wear in Tokyo’s Winter? (Dec-Feb)
Easy Day Trip from Tokyo! Ultimate Sightseeing Guide for Hakone & Lake Ashinoko!
Osechi Ryori: Japan's Lucky and Traditional New Year's Feast
Atami 1-Day Itinerary: Exploring Japan's Castle & Hot Springs Resort Town Near Tokyo!
Secrets to Shopping in Japan: Guide to Annual Sales in Japan & Where to Shop! (2020 Edition)
- #best ramen tokyo
- #what to buy in ameyoko
- #what to bring to japan
- #new years in tokyo
- #best izakaya shinjuku
- #things to do tokyo
- #japanese nail trends
- #what to do in odaiba
- #onsen tattoo friendly tokyo
- #best sushi ginza
- #japanese convenience store snacks
- #best yakiniku shibuya
- #japanese fashion culture
- #best japanese soft drinks