Here we'll share all about the weather in Hokkaido in summer, and the perfect clothing to wear. We'll also share why summer is the best time to visit Hokkaido!
If you’re going to Hokkaido as well as visiting Tokyo and Osaka, you need to be aware that there’s a big difference in temperature!
- Table of Contents
- Visiting Hokkaido in Summer 2020 (June to August)
- Top 3 Reasons to Visit Hokkaido in Summer
- What's summer like in Hokkaido (June - August)? Average Temperature and Precipitation
- What clothes should I pack for Hokkaido in summer?
- Visiting Hokkaido in June
- Visiting Hokkaido in July
- Visiting Hokkaido in August
- Related Articles on Seasons in Hokkaido
- Recommended Sapporo Hotels
Hokkaido is the furthest north of the islands of Japan. It’s 820km north of Tokyo and is separated from the mainland by a large stretch of water called the Tsugaru Strait. The average temperature in summer in Hokkaido is about 20 degrees Celsius which is cool and pleasant. In winter the temperature is often below zero and it also snows a lot.
Visiting Hokkaido in Summer 2020 (June to August)
Top 3 Reasons to Visit Hokkaido in Summer
1. It hardly ever gets over 30℃ so the days are very pleasant!
The summer temperature in Hokkaido is around 20 ℃. Due to abnormal weather conditions and global warming a high of 37.8 °C was recorded for the first time since records began in June 2014, but in a normal year there are very few days when the temperature exceeds 30° C. That’s makes for a cool and comfortable climate. Some days might feel a bit chilly if the temperature drops below 10 ℃ in the morning and evening.
2. There’s no rainy season and not much humidity in the air!
On mainland Japan, you get a lot of rainy days from June to July and increased precipitation. During the rainy season (tsuyu) in Tokyo and Kyoto, and in most parts of Japan, it tends to get hot and humid. The humidity can be quite uncomfortable at this time of year. However, in Hokkaido there’s no rainy season. Humidity is not an issue and the climate is refreshing and comfortable.
3. The best time to see the lavender in Furano is early to late July!
The summer in Hokkaido is short, and many flowers bloom all together between June and August. You can see the lavender fields in Furano all stretched out from the beginning through to the end of July. In Biei the flower patchwork rows bloom one after the other from June onward. It’s a truly awesome sight! There are plenty of seasonal vegetables and fruits available, so this is a great time of year for sightseeing.
What to watch out for in summer: Flowers, Fish & Events
◆ Summer blooming flowers: Lilac (June), fly honeysuckle (June), begonia (June/July), lavender (July), roses (July and August), marigolds (July and August), sunflowers (August).
◆ Seasonal fish: tokishirazu (summer-catch salmon) (June), hokke (Okhotsk mackerel) (June onwards), surumeika (Japanese squid) (June onwards), sea urchin (June - August).
◆ Seasonal fruit and vegetables: White asparagus (June), asparagus (June/July), corn (July/August), yubari melon (June to August), potatoes (August/September)
◆ Summer event: Otaru Tide Festival
Date: July 27 (Fri), 28 (Sat), 29 (Sunday)
Venue: Otaru port around Wharf No. 3 (Firework display)
Access: 10 minutes’ walk from Otaru Station (JR Hakodate main line)
What's summer like in Hokkaido (June - August)? Average Temperature and Precipitation
What clothes should I pack for Hokkaido in summer?
Visiting Hokkaido in June
It can be chilly in the mornings and evenings even in June, so it’s a good idea to have some warm outerwear like a fleece or cardigan.
- Average temperature in Sapporo in June
- Maximum temperature in Sapporo in June
- Minimum temperature in Sapporo in June
Visiting Hokkaido in July
It’s pleasantly cool, but the temperature can still get over 30 degrees on some days. Make sure you protect yourself against the sun with a hat and sunglasses. Sunscreen is also essential.
- Average temperature in Sapporo in July
- Maximum temperature in Sapporo in July
- Minimum temperature in Sapporo in July
Visiting Hokkaido in August
Rainfall picks up again in the fall - keep a foldable umbrella handy for days when you get sun and showers. Sunscreen is essential as the sunlight can be very strong.
- Average temperature in Sapporo in August
- Maximum temperature in Sapporo in August
- Minimum temperature in Sapporo in August
Related Articles on Seasons in Hokkaido
Recommended Sapporo Hotels
Minami 10 Jo Nishi 6 chome 1-21, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 064-8561
Nakajima koen dori Station （Sapporo Streetcar Yamahana Line）
- Phone Number 011-561-1000
- Address Minami 10 Jo Nishi 6 chome 1-21, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 064-8561
Kita 5 Nishi 2-5, Chuo-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido, 060-0005
Sapporo Station （Hakodate Main Line）
- Phone Number 011-251-2222
- Address Kita 5 Nishi 2-5, Chuo-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido, 060-0005
Kita eight Jo Nishi 4-15, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060-0808
Sapporo Station （Hakodate Main Line）
- Phone Number 011-729-4055
- Address Kita eight Jo Nishi 4-15, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060-0808
*Prices and options mentioned are subject to change.
*Unless stated otherwise, all prices include tax.
Share this article.
Recommended places for you
7 Ways to Enjoy Shiretoko, Hokkaido in Winter – From Ice Floes to Snowy Lakeshores!
A Week Isn’t Enough in Japan... 9 Day Trip Around Stunning Hokkaido (Toya, Muroran and Noboribetsu)
10 Awesome Things to Do in Niseko That Aren't Just Skiing
10 Awesome Things To Do in Hakodate, Hokkaido
Furano & Biei: Top 10 Things To Do in Japan’s Beautiful North!
Historic Village of Hokkaido: Inside the 'Pioneer Village' That Inspired Japan's Popular Manga Series
Hokkaido Lavender Fields: Top 6 Furano Spots to See Japan's Fields of Purple
Visiting Hokkaido Japan: 11 Essentials to Know Before Traveling to Japan's Wild North!
According to a Local: 6 Unique Ways Japanese Keep Cool in Summer!
‘No Air Con In This Heat?!’ 5 Things That Shocked Foreigners About Hokkaido In Summer
Sapporo New Chitose Airport (CTS): Complete Guide to Restaurants, Souvenirs, Shopping & More!
Visiting Hokkaido in Summer: What to Pack for Hokkaido in July and August
- #best sushi hokkaido
- #things to do hokkaido
- #best ramen sapporo
- #what to bring to japan
- #new years in tokyo
- #what to buy in ameyoko
- #japanese nail trends
- #what to do in odaiba
- #onsen tattoo friendly tokyo
- #best sweets otaru
- #japanese fashion culture
- #best nature furano
- #japanese convenience store snacks
- #best japanese soft drinks