The bridge carrying traffic from Kasuga-dori Street over the Sumida River. One of the viewing areas for the fireworks festival is near this bridge.
This bridge on the Sumida River, between Kuramae and Komagata Bridges, carries traffic from Kasuga-dori Street. The bridge is called Umaya (horse stable) because during the Edo period, the area had a stable for horses that transported rice to the government. The original bridge was built in 1874 and relocated several times. Before that, boats were often used in spring for cherry-blossom viewing, and some would capsize; the locals therefore donated money to build a bridge. The present structure was built in 1929 after the Great Kanto Earthquake. Some 151.4 meters long and bearing a glass ornament of a horse on its main pier, it is the only three-arch bridge with through composite girders on the Sumida. In summer, banks between the Umaya and Komagata Bridges become filled with onlookers during the Sumida-gawa Fireworks Festival. A four-minute walk from Kuramae Station on the Toei Oedo Line.