This bridge on the Sumida River, between Kuramae and Komagata Bridges, carries traffic from Kasuga-dori Street. The bridge is called Umaya (horse stable) because during the Edo period, the area had a stable for horses that transported rice to the government. The original bridge was built in 1874 and relocated several times. Before that, boats were often used in spring for cherry-blossom viewing, and some would capsize; the locals therefore donated money to build a bridge. The present structure was built in 1929 after the Great Kanto Earthquake. Some 151.4 meters long and bearing a glass ornament of a horse on its main pier, it is the only three-arch bridge with through composite girders on the Sumida. In summer, banks between the Umaya and Komagata Bridges become filled with onlookers during the Sumida-gawa Fireworks Festival. A four-minute walk from Kuramae Station on the Toei Oedo Line.
1, Honjo, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, 130-0004
- Nearest Station
･ Toei Asakusa Line
･ Toei Oedo Line
4 minutes on foot
- Phone Number
Our staff may only be able to communicate in Japanese.
Recommended Spots in Area
Arcakit KinshichoRyogoku / TOKYO SKYTREE(R)Shopping Malls
Union Commerce Co., Ltd.AsakusaHousehold Goods Stores
Coredo Muromachi 1,2,3Tokyo StationShopping Malls
Asakusa EKIMISEAsakusaShopping Malls
FOOTBALL SHOP fcFARyogoku / TOKYO SKYTREE(R)Sporting Goods Stores