HOME Roppongi Nogi Shrine
  • Nogi Shrine
  • Nogi Shrine
  • Nogi Shrine

Nogi Shrine



On the day of Emperor Meiji's imperial funeral on September 13, 1912, General Nogi Maresuke and his wife Shizuko followed after the late emperor by committing suicide. Impressed by their strong allegiance to the emperor, a large number of Japanese people visited the residence of General Nogi to mourn the deceased couple and even the name of the slope running close to the residence was renamed from ”Yureizaka” (Ghost Slope) to Nogizaka. At the same time, an organization called Chuo Nogikai (litt: Central Nogi Association) was set up led by then mayor of Tokyo City, who became the chairman of the association and in 1923 a shinto shrine called ”Nogi Shrine” was completed enshrining the souls of General Nogi and his wife. Although the shrine buildings were destroyed in World War II air raids, the Main Hall, the Offering Hall and the Worship Hall were reconstructed in 1962 for the festival to commemorate the 50-year anniversary of the death's of the Nogi couple. In the Treasure Museum on the shrine premises a bust of general Nogi, the sword used for the couple's suicide, his will, his medals of honor and the Chinese poems written by his own hand are displayed and you can also browse through books related to general Nogi. The enshrined souls of the Nogi couple are being worshipped as deities for granting worldly wishes such as academic success, good health, peace and prosperity in the household, business success, finding a good marriage partner, easy childbirth and the blessing of children. The Nogi Shrine is located at about 15 meters from #1 Exit of ”Nogizaka” Station of the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line.

Location Information

  • Address

    8-11-27, Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107-0052

  • Nearest Station
    Nogizaka Station
    ・ Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line
    Exit 1
    1 minute on foot
  • Phone Number

    Our staff may only be able to communicate in Japanese.

  • Hours
    Every day 6:00am - 5:00pm