Tokyo is a massive city; while sightseeing is incredibly fun and there's much to discover, your feet are going to hurt at some point. Here's where Tokyo's incredibly convenient and entirely free sightseeing loop buses come in!
Famous locations such as Tokyo Station and Odaiba can be visited by bus and without paying a single yen - let's take a look at the city's major free loop buses.
Tokyo Bay Shuttle - Exploring Odaiba!
Odaiba is known as Tokyo's beautiful bay area, featuring landmarks such as the Venus Fort and Fuji TV. Those popular tourists spots are scattered over the entire area, making exploring the island on foot not impossible but certainly somewhat of a challenge.
The Tokyo Bay Shuttle bus, however, visits Odaiba's many attractions entirely for free! regardless of weekends or holidays, this loop bus operates every day between 11:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., leaving in intervals of about 20 minutes. With barely any waiting time in between the buses, this is many a tourist's favorite way to explore Odaiba!
Hours: 11:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Interval: 20 minutes
1) National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation第1停車場：日本科学未来館
- Address 2-3-6, Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo, 135-0064
3) Venus Fort第3停車場：ヴィーナスフォート
- Address 1-3-15, Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo, 135-0064
5) DiverCity Tokyo Plaza第5停車場：ダイバーシティ東京プラザ
- Address 1-1, Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo, 135-0064
6) Hilton Tokyo Odaiba第6停車場：ヒルトン東京お台場
- Address 1-9-1, Daiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 135-0091
8) Fuji TV第8停車場：フジテレビ
- Address 2-4, Daiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 135-0091
Marunouchi Shuttle - Touring Around Tokyo Station
Naturally, Tokyo Station is one of the Japanese capital's major traffic hubs where many train lines cross - local, express, and even Shinkansen. Because of that, the area around the station isn't only crowded with hotels and restaurants but also with a whole variety of all kinds of different landmarks and sightseeing spots.
The Marunouchi Shuttle is a sightseeing loop bus that covers the entire area, a wonderful choice for both shoppers and sightseers and a rare opportunity to gaze upon Tokyo's busiest hustle and bustle from a relaxed bus ride.
In general, the Marunouchi Shuttle buses' route takes about 40 minutes, but on weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., a special ""Otemachi Route"" is in place, particularly made for the businesspeople of the morning rush hour, skipping Yurakucho Station - make sure to keep that in mind!
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. on weekdays
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays
Interval: 12 to 15 minutes
2) Otemachi Tower第2停車場：大手町タワー
- Address 1-5, Otemachi , Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0004
7) Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation第7停車場：三井住友銀行
- Address 1-31-3, Marunochi , Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0005
11) Dai-ichi Life第11停車場：第一生命
- Address 1-13, Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0006
- Address 1-8, Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0006
13) Shin Kokusai Building第13停車場：新国際ビル
- Address 3-4, Marunochi , Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0005
Metrolink Nihonbashi - Getting to Know Nihonbashi
Just recently, the two massive commercial facilities COREDO Muromachi 2 and COREDO Muromachi 3 have opened at an area called Nihonbashi. In the Edo period, the area flourished and prospered as a castle town directly next to Edo Castle - even today, the historic glory of this era is still both palpable and visible. Many a long-established restaurant offers the delicious, authentic tastes of old cuisines, while the latest technology and trends can be found at shops and cinemas just next door.
Metrolink Nihonbashi is a free sightseeing bus that departs at the busy Tokyo Station, making its way to Shin-Nihonbashi over five stops. As buses depart every 10 minutes, and each and every stop has unique spots of interest and sightseeing attractions to offer within walking distance. The Metrolink Nihonbashi is also a great choice for shoppers as its main route is the Chuo-Dori, where shops and stores of all genres can be found abundantly. Hop on!
Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Interval: 10 minutes
3) Nihonbashi Station(subway)第3停車場：地下鉄日本橋駅
- Address 1-2, Nihombashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0027
5) Mitsui Memorial Museum第5停車場：三井記念美術館
- Address 2-1, Nihombashimuromachi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0022
7) Nihonbashi Muromachi Itchome第7停車場：日本橋室町一丁目
- Address 2-2, Nihombashimuromachi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0022
9) Nihonbashi Nichome第9停車場：日本橋二丁目
- Address 2-4, Nihombashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0027
14) Yaesu Underground Mall第14停車場：八重洲地下街
- Address 1-1-1, Kyobashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0031
Panda Bus - Asakusa Sightseeing, the Adorable Way
The famous sightseeing area of Asakusa does of course have its very own free sightseeing bus - and it's an unmistakably adorable one! The Panda Bus is just that - a bus in the cute shape of a panda that takes eager sightseers around Asakusa's most famous places and hot spots. It operates on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays, it's a wonderfully convenient way to stop by at all of Asakusa's must-visits in one day, such as Kaminarimon or Senso-ji Temple.
The Panda Bus also crosses the Sumida River, taking you straight to Tokyo Skytree(R) on the other side. Since this famous landmark is a fair distance away from Asakusa Station, people commonly use either the subway or a taxi to reach Tokyo Skytree(R), but why not just make use of the Panda Bus for free?
Operates: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays
Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (no service between 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
Interval: 40 minutes
- Address 2-3-1, Asakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0032
1) in front of ROX第1停車場：ROX前(浅草ROX)
- Address 1-25-15, Asakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0032
4) in front of Tokyo Skytree Station第4停車場：とうきょうスカイツリー駅前
- Address 1-4-1, Oshiage, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, 131-0045
6) Tobu Asakusa Station第6停車場：東武浅草駅
- Address 1-4-1, Hanakawado, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0033
- Address 2-3-61, Asakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0032
Top image credit: Vassamon Anansukkasem / Shutterstock.com
Perfect Balance of Chocolate and Plum Liquor: Try the Brand-New “KitKat Umeshu Tsuru-ume” - Japan’s Popular KitKat Sensation!The Latest
Japan's Weather: 7-day Forecast for Tokyo and Japan (And What to Wear for the Season!)Must-See
Cup Noodle Ranking! Japan's Top 3 Cup Noodle Favorites AnnouncedThe Latest
Rice Cracker Realness: The Top 10 Rice Snack Top-Sellers by Kameda Seika, Loved by all of Japan!Hot Deals
5 Items Available Only at AmeyokoMust-See
Tokyo Shibuya｜Shibuya Station Area Map & Sightseeing InformationMust-See
Cheap and Unique - Tokyo's Top 10 Guesthouses to Stay AtThe Latest
The Secrets of Shopping in Japan: When is the Best Time to Shop?Hot Deals
The Beautiful World of PIGMENT: Colors and Art Supplies Made from Traditional MaterialsMust-See