HOME Ueno Nezu Jinjya
  • Nezu Jinjya
  • Nezu Jinjya
  • Nezu Jinjya
  • Nezu Jinjya

Nezu Jinjya

根津神社

Description

The ”Nezu Shrine” was built in Gongen-zukuri in 1706. All the buildings from the main hall to the hall of offerings, the hall of worship, the Karamon (a type of gate seen in Japanese architecture), the Nishi-mon (west gate), the Sukibei (lattice-windowed wall) and the two-storied gate still exist today, and they have been designated as National Important Cultural Property. Its history traces back 1900 years ago, when the shrine was (allegedly) established by Yamato Takeru where Sendagi exists now. During the Bunmei era (1469 - 1486) the main building of the shrine was established by Ota Dokan (1432 - 1486) and during the Edo period (1600/1603 - 1868) Tokugawa Tsunayoshi (1646 - 1709) - the fifth shogun - established the main building of the current shrine which he then relocated from Sendagi where the old shrine existed to its current location, also in Sendagi. Also, on the premises is a 6,600 square-meter azalea garden where about 3,000 azaleas of 100 different types bloom in Late Apli (depending on the climate of the year). During this period, street stalls such as Amazake-chaya (traditional Japanese teahouse famous for its Amazake: a traditional Japanese (alcoholic and non-alcoholic available) drink made from fermented rice) and Ueki-ichi (flower market) are lined up at the premises. It is a 5-minute walk from ”Nezu” Station and ”Sendagi” Station of the Metro Chiyoda Line and ”Todaimae” Station of the Metro Namboku Line.

Location Information

  • Address

    1-28-9, Nezu, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-0031

  • Nearest Station
    Nezu Station
    ・ Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line
    5 minutes on foot
  • Phone Number
    03-3822-0753

    Our staff may only be able to communicate in Japanese.

  • Hours
    Every day 10:00am - 4:00pm