A spacious Buddhist temple with buildings of historical and cultural value. Kan'ei-ji is easily accessible to the general public and heartily welcomes visitors.
Founded in 1625 by Jigen Daishi Tenkai (1536–1643) to pray for peace for the people. Since the Edo period (1603–1868) the Buddhist temple is not only one of the largest of its kind in Japan but one held in the highest esteem. After the Second World War the temple sought to play the role of a Buddhist temple open to public. The temple not only developed a cemetery, but held annual events such as opening the temple buildings, thereby gaining public affinity. Even though it is only a tenth of its former size, the temple still has spacious precincts, about 10 hectares containing buildings such as Kaizando Hall, Bentendo Hall, Mausoleum of the Tokugawa Shoguns, Rin'oden Hall and Ueno Pagoda. Kiyomizu Kannon-do Hall, enshrining the Thousand-armed Kannon (sahasrabhuja arya avalokitezvara); the former Omote-mon Gate of Gohonbo Hall of Kan'eiji Temple, currently at Rin'o-ji Temple; and the Chokugaku-mon Gates (inscribed by the emperor) for the mausoleums of fourth and fifth shoguns Ietsuna and Tsunayoshi are all designated Important Cultural Properties. This is a place to feel the presence of Japanese history. During spring the park area attracts large numbers of visitors for the cherry blossom viewing. An eight-minute walk from Ueno-Koenguchi Exit of Yamanote Loop Ueno Station.