It is a branch temple of the Jodo Shinshu Honganji denomination, whose honzan (the mother temple) is Nishi Honganji in Kyoto. The temple was originally established near Asakusa in 1617; however, it was burned down by a historic fire. After the fire, because the allocated plot for reconstruction was off the shoreline, devout followers and others who aimed for the reconstruction of the main hall filled the sea to reclaim the land and complete the reconstruction. The name Tsukiji comes from ”reclaimed land.” Although the temple was destroyed again by the 1923 Great Kanto earthquake, it was reconstructed in 1934 to its current state. The exterior of the main worship hall is an original stone construction in the ancient Indian style, but on the contrary, the interior of the hall is arranged in the traditional Shinshu-sect temple design and layout. Together with the pipe organ and stained glass-fit windows, a mysterious atmosphere is created in the temple. The main image of the temple is Amida Nyorai (Amitabha Tathagata), which is believed to save all living things equally, and Shinran Shonin propagating its teachings was the origin of the faith of Jodoshinshu sect. On the right and left of the main worship hall are the missionary halls facilitated with a Japanese restaurant and a tea lounge where you can relax and guest rooms open to the public on their 3rd floor. The temple was designated as an Important Cultural Property in 2014. It is a one-minute walk from the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line Tsukiji Station.
3-15-1, Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-8435
- Nearest Station
･ Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line
1 minute on foot
- Phone Number
03-3541-1131Available languagesonly in Japanese
Every day 6:00am - 5:30pm
*Visiting hours for main temple: 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Oct. to Mar.
Recommended Spots in Area