A park built in Kurihama in commemoration of the landing of Commodore Matthew C. Perry of the United States Navy.
In 1853, Commodore of the United States Navy Matthew Calbraith Perry and his squadrons arrived in Japan, which had adopted a policy of national isolation, to demand the country to open its doors. It is the Perry Park that was built in Kurihama, where Perry landed back then. The Matthew C. Perry Monument stands in the park was built by the America's Friends Association in 1901. The inscription in Japanese that reads: ”The Monument Commemorating the Landing of Commodore Perry of the United States Navy,” was written by Prince Ito Hirobumi. Other facilities include a children’s square with a sand area and swings. The Perry Museum within the park was built in 1987 to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Yokosuka City gaining its municipality and displays a diorama illustrating the arrival of the ”black shops” on the first floor and its second floor is an exhibition room for historical materials. It is a 20-minute walk from the JR Kurihama Station or the Keikyu Kurihama Station on the Keihin Kyuko Line. It is a 10-minute bus ride on a bus bound for Nobi-kaigan from the JR Kurihama Station or the Keikyu Kurihama Station on the Keihin Kyuko Line. The park is a short walk after getting off at the ”Peruri” Perry Kinenhi bus stop.