This is a mansion built by Masatomo Hotta (1851－1911), the last feudal lord of the Sakura Domain. The residence is designated a National Important Cultural Property and the garden a National Place of Scenic Beauty.
This is a private residence that Masatomo Hotta, who was the last lord of the Sakura Domain in the Edo era, built in Sakura, part of his former territory, in 1898 after the era changed to Meiji. It is a rare, Meiji-era house that exists to tell the history and culture of the Sakura city. Under the name of the Old Hotta House, the seven sections of the residence: the entrance wing, parlor wing, living wing, study wing, bath house, storehouse, and gatekeepers' lodge were designated a National Important Cultural Property in 2006 and its garden designated a National Place of Scenic Beauty in 2015. Currently, the garden is affectionately known as the ”Sakura Garden.” Its characteristic is the composition of low pine trees planted in the wide lawn, and the green lawn in spring and summer and the colorful foliage in fall can be enjoyed. The residence is often used as a filming location for movies and dramas. It is a 20-minute walk from the JR Sakura Station or a 5-minute walk from the Koseien Iriguchi bus stop on a bus route bound for the Shisui-Narita area.