One of the nation's largest movable road bridges built over the mouth of Sumida River.
One of the nation's largest movable road bridges built over the mouth of Sumida River in 1940. Prior to this bridge, transport between Tsukishima and Tsukiji depended on a small watashi, or ferry. The bridge was constructed to facilitate traffic and to support the development of Harumi and Toyosu, where land reclamation was already underway. The bridge was named after the old ferry landing, Kachidoki-no-Watashi. The mouth of the Sumida River had served as a port from the Edo period (1603–1868) to the beginning of the Showa period (1926). Since tallships and other large vessels sailed there, a bascule bridge was built in which the middle swings upwards to let such ships through. Although that function of the bridge ended in 1970, you can take a guided tour of the piers and mechanisms. An eight-minute walk from Exit A1 of Tsukijishijo Station, or a four-minute walk from Exit A4 of Kachidoki Station, both on the Toei Subway Oedo Line.