Perfect Day-trip Sightseeing Spots Near Tokyo: Kamakura, Enoshima, Miura, Yokosuka!
Last updated: 5 September 2019
Kamakura, Enoshima, Miura, and Yokosuka in Kanagawa Prefecture are only 1 to 2 hours by train from Tokyo. Each area has different sorts of attractions as well many kinds of shops.
Here are some great spots in each of the areas which can be visited during a day-trip. We’ve put together some suggestions for day-trips which will give you a taste of the history and culture as well as introduce places offering gourmet dishes!
Great spots in Kamakura to visit on a day-trip!
Kamakura has a retro feel to it and is popular for its many shrines and temples. These are easily accessible and present a great opportunity for getting a feel of the history and culture of this old city.
Let’s begin with Hasedera Temple that has a history of more than 1,300 years. In the spring, the cherry blossoms are beautiful and in the fall there are many seasonal plants visitors flock to see.
The hydrangea are especially famous, their blue and purple blossoms beautiful.
- Address 3-11-2 Hasedera, Kamakura City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station Access: 5-minute walk from the Hase Station on the Odakyu Electric Railway Enoshima Line
After you have visited some temples and shrines, head over to the Kamakura Komachi Dori near Kamakura Station and check out the food and shopping. The first place I recommend that you visit is the Momiji Tea House on Kamakura Onari Dori.
The sweets here are made with matcha from Morihan, a long-established tea shop in Kyoto, and are rich in flavor. Photos of all these delicious sweets will be a great souvenir of your visit here.
Momiji Tea House Onari Dori Shopもみじ茶屋 御成通り店
- Address Maison Kanagawa 1F, 10-2 Onari-cho, Kamakura City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station 4-minute walk from JR Kamakura Station
Open: 10:00 a.m. ~ 8:00 p.m. (Last order 7:00 p.m.) *Time may change depending on the season
Closed: Open daily
Great spots in Enoshima to visit on a day-trip!
Enoshima is a seaside town. Let's look at some of the points of interest while enjoying the refreshing breeze off the ocean!
If you arrive in the morning, stop by the Eggs ‘n Things Shonan Enoshima shop and enjoy a delicious breakfast. The pancakes topped with strawberries, whipped cream, and Macadamia nuts are very popular.
Enjoy this scrumptious meal while taking in the view of Enoshima and Sagami Bay and immersing yourself in the resort-like atmosphere. If you want to get a seat on the terrace you’d better line up quickly!
Eggs ‘n Things Shonan Enoshima shopEggs 'n Things 湘南江の島店
- Address the Beach House 1F, 2-17-23 Katasei Kaigan, Fujisawa City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station 3-minute walk from the Katase Enoshima Station on the Odakyu Electric Railway Enoshima Line
Open: 9:00 AM a.m. ~ 10:30 p.m. (Last order 9:30 p.m.)
The Enoshima Line, nicknamed Enoden, that runs between Kamakura and Enoshima is the best way to get around Enoshima. The Kamakura Koko-mae Station is an especially popular photo spot with sightseers.
This is a spot familiar to fans of the animated version of the popular manga SLAM DUNK and from here you can get a photo of the Enoden coming down the hill with the sea in the background, a spot often visited by overseas fans.
Kamakura Kōkō-mae Station鎌倉高校前駅
- Address 1-1-25 Koshigoe, Kamakura City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station Next to the Kamakura Kōkō-mae Station on the Odakyu Electric Railway Enoshima Line
Great spots in Miura to visit on a day-trip!
The lure of Miura is its dynamic natural environment that stands in contrast to the calm ocean setting of Enoshima.
It takes about 30 minutes by bus from the Keikyu Line Misakiguchi Station. You will arrive at Jogashima Park located on the southernmost tip of the Miura peninsula. The scenery here has been awarded two stars by the Michelin Green Guide Japan and the walk above the cliff near the lighthouse offers spectacular views. If the weather is fine you might be able to see Mt. Fuji!
Kanagawa Prefectural Jogashima Park神奈川県立城ケ島公園
- Address Jogashima, Misaki-cho, Miura City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station Take the bus going to Jogashima from the Bus Stop No. 2 in front of the Keikyu Line Misakiguchi Station; takes about 30 minutes. Get off at Hakushūhimae. 5-minute walk.
8:00 a.m. ~ 5:00 p.m. (April 1 ~ Sept. 30 8:00 a.m. ~ 7:00 p.m.)
Closed: Open daily
If you visit Miura, you can’t leave without eating tuna for which the port is famous. One place where you can do that is at the Gurumekan Hogyo which you can reach by bus on your way back to Misakiguchi Station.
I recommend the Misaki-ko Zen, a tray set that includes tuna sushi and tempura. The tuna is fresh from the port of Miura and very delicious.
Gurumekan Hogyoグルメ館 豊魚
- Address 751-10 Kikuna, Minami Shitauramachi, Miura City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station Take the bus from the Keikyu Miura Kaigan Station and get off at the Kamidai Keikyu Bus stop ; 1-minute walk.
Open: 11:00 a.m. ~ 9:00 p.m. (Last order 8:30 p.m.)
Closed: Open daily *closed during the year-end holidays
Great spots in Yokosuka to visit on a day-trip!
Yokosuka has a large US Naval base and an international atmosphere. Here you will find places that have a distinctly Yokosuka flavor to them, be it architecture or food.
Our first photo spot in Yokosuka is Verny Park located about a one-minute walk from Yokosuka Station. It is a beautiful French-style garden with fountains and flower beds containing about 1,400 roses. On the opposite shore of the park, you can see the site where the Yokosuka Iron Works once stood, the construction of which the French engineer Verny contributed.
- Address 1-1 Shioiricho, Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefectur
- Nearest Station 1-minute walk. From JR Yokosuka Station or 5-minute walk from Keikyu Shioiricho Station
Many of the gourmet items to be found in Yokosuka have an American influence, such as the Navy Curry and Navy Burger that has large buns.
More recently the Yokosuka Navy Curry Buns have been especially popular. These took first place in a local bread festival for their crisp exteriors and chewy centers that are so delicious they become addictive. Why not get a couple to eat while strolling around the area?
Yokosuka Port Marketよこすかポートマーケット
- Address 6 Shinkocho, Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Nearest Station Take the Yokosuka Chuo and Mikasa Junkan Bus from the Keikyu Line Yokosuka Chuo Station and get off at Port Market Mae or that the bus from JR Yokosuka Station and get off at Odakicho; 8-minute walk
Hours: 10:00 a.m. ~ 7:00 p.m.
Closed: Tuesday (open during national holidays)
Spots showcased in the article
- Hasedera Temple
- Momiji Tea House Onari Dori Shop
- もみじ茶屋 御成通り店
- Eggs ‘n Things Shonan Enoshima shop
- Eggs 'n Things 湘南江の島店
- Kamakura Kōkō-mae Station
- Kanagawa Prefectural Jogashima Park
- Gurumekan Hogyo
- グルメ館 豊魚
- Verny Park
- Yokosuka Port Market
Read this article on mobile
View the map on mobile
*This information is from the time of this article's publication.
*Prices and options mentioned are subject to change.
*Unless stated otherwise, all prices include tax.