Hijiri-bashi was constructed over the Kanda River in 1927 following the Great Kanto Earthquake. It was designed by Mamoru Yamada, also known for his design of the NTT Post Office. The name, selected by public contest, means ”sacred bridge.” Hijiri-bashi connects two sanctuaries: Kanda Church to the north, and Nicholai-do (Holy Resurrection Cathedral) to the south. The beauty of its three-dimensional piers made Hijiri-bashi well known as a new sight of Tokyo; Otonashi-bashi on the Takino River in Kita Ward was modeled after it. At 92 meters long and 22 meters wide, this is the longest bridge on the Kanda River. Seen from the water, the arches and surrounding greenery are very impressive. Take the Hijiri-bashi Exit of Ochanomizu Station on the JR Line.
1, Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-0034
- Nearest Station
･ JR Chuo Main Line
･ Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line
･ JR Sobu Line
1 minute on foot
- Phone Number
Our staff may only be able to communicate in Japanese.